Holt Antiques at
Walsingham Mill
The Old Mill
Cokers Hill
Little Walsingham
Norfolk
NR22 6BN
England

Purveyors of quality original antique 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th Century oak and country furniture, fine art and decorative period items

Opening Times: see news below

Telephone

07551 383897

Walsingham Mill:

01328 821763


Web Enquiries

All Major Credit Cards Accepted

Mastercard Accepted Visa Accepted Maestro Accepted Paypal Accepted

News

04/01/21 - An Important Update Regarding Coronavirus (Covid-19) - 4th January 2021

Holt Antique Furniture Ltd and its related Companies would like to update you on what's happening at our antiques store “Holt Antiques at Walsingham Mill” with the continued threat of Coronavirus (Covid-19) and now a 3rd National Tier 5 Lockdown.

We must act responsibly during this challenging period, to ensure that the safety and wellbeing of both our staff and customers continues.

With two prior lockdowns in 2020 and non-essential businesses again forced to close from 26th December 2020 into 2021, we have made the difficult decision for our premises to remain CLOSED TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

Our website remains open for trade with worldwide shipping available on all items so please, do not hesitate to contact us via this medium.

13/12/20 - We sell more than just furniture!

We are specialists in antique items from the 15thC through to the 19thC, offering an array of period oak and country furniture, portraiture, delftware, treen, wood carvings, sculpture and early metal ware.

We are trading solely from our website at the current time due to the virus outbreak.

Worldwide shipping is available on all items!

1st Duke of Sutherland Interest - Large & Impressive English Antique Brass, Copper & Iron Cooking Pan, Once Owned by the Marquess of Stafford, Later 1st Duke of Sutherland

  • Reference : 5444
  • Availability : Available Now
  • Dimensions : Pan diameter 13"
  • Price : £295

Information

From Stafford House, London, this large cooking pan originates from the earlier part of the 19th Century when Stafford House was acquired by George Leveson-Gower, Second Marquess of Stafford, in 1830. He was given the Title of 1st Duke of Sutherland in 1833 by William IV. 

History of Stafford House:

The house itself, located next to Buckingham Palace, was originally owned by King George IV's younger brother Frederick, The Duke of York. Frederick had owned the site since 1807. Another property originally stood on the site but in 1820, with the Coronation of his brother to the English throne, and now that he was second in line to the throne, he wanted something grander. In 1825 work commenced on "York House". The house was originally designed as a two-storey house with a suite on the ground floor and State apartments of the first floor.

The architect Benjamin Dean Wyatt was appointed for the build. He was well known with wealthier clients for introducing them to a version of the Louis XIV style, which he claimed rivalled Versailles Palace in France.

In 1827, Frederick, Duke of York, passed away. Wyatt had completed the main framework of the house. The Marquess of Stafford acquired the half-completed house to display his impressive art collection. Costing £72,000, the house was deemed the most valuable house in London after being assessed for property tax purposes at the time.

Wyatt renamed the house "Stafford House" in 1827 on completion of the works. The House is built of Bath Stone to the exterior and whilst Wyatt started work on the elaborate interiors, this work was eventually completed by the architect Charles Barry.

In 1830, the Second Marquess of Stafford inherited the property. He appointed architect Robert Smirke to add an attic storey. This was the last major alteration to the house.

The Dukes of Sutherland (The Stafford family) were the leading figures in London's High Society and "Stafford House" earned a reputation as the "ballroom of London". The building remained the residence of the Dukes' from 1830 until 1911 when the 4th Duke sold the house to the Lancastrian Industrialist, William Lever, later Lord Leverhulme and the house again changed its name to "Lancaster House" in 1914 when Leverhulme gifted the house to the nation and it became home to the British Museum from 1914 until 1945.

Since 1945, the house has been used for Government hospitality, conferences and events and remains the location of the Government's wine cellar!

About this pan:

Made from brass with a copper carry handle and steel shaft, the outer surface bears the inscription "Stafford House" and coronet.

Condition - as per images. Some surface wear but good overall.

We ship worldwide & buy with confidence too!


We are a member of the following 3 Professional Institutions:


1. LAPADA (London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association) -  LAPADA is the UK’s largest trade association for professional art & antique dealers (representing approximately 500 UK dealer members). All items are backed by our LAPADA guarantee.

 

2. CINOA - CINOA is the world association of Art & Antique dealer associations (representing 5000 dealers from 32 associations in 22 countries).

 

3. The Norfolk & Suffolk Antique Dealers Association.


Want further information or wish to purchase this item or discuss shipping costs?


Tel: 07551 383897 (line open 9.30 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Saturday UK time) where we can take payment over the phone; OR

Email us with your contact details via the "Contact Us" tab quoting the stock reference number and we will respond and make contact with you within 24 hours of receipt.